Welcome to the Suber Archives and Special Collections at LaGrange College, located in the lower level of the Lewis Library. The Archives has only been open since 2009 and there is ongoing organization of College records and Special Collections. Check out our Collections page for a summary of what holdings we currently have and feel to call for additionalinformation which may not be online yet.
What are our hours?
- The Suber Archives and Special Collections is open Monday-Friday, from 8:30-4:00, but it's always good to call first since we have a small staff. Our number is 706-880-8995 and please feel free to leave a message.
Do I need to make an appointment?
- If you have a specific request you need to let us know at least 2 days in advance so if we need to do research or locate something in a collection, we can have it waiting for you when you come in.
Where are we located?
- We are located in the lower level of the Lewis Library at LaGrange College at 601 Broad Street, LaGrange, Georgia.
What is a Finding Aid?
- A Finding Aid is a tool that contains detailed information about what sort of information is in a specific collection and assists the researcher to determine if the contents will useful and relevant to his or her topic. As a new archives not all collections have a Finding Aid at the present time, but as processing continues it will be posted online.
Can I check out materials?
- Since most of our documents are unique, the materials in the Suber Archives are closed to the public, except for items on display, and cannot be checked out. You will need to submit a request form at least two days in advance so that we can pull the materials you want to see and have them available when you arrive.
Can I photograph or scan documents and is there a charge?
- The staff will scan up to 10 images at no charge or you may feel free to use your cell phone to take photographs. There is a fee for over 10 copies since our server is not able to handle large numbers of files. Please check with an archivist for additional details.
Does the Archives accept donations?
- We love donations and we have many wonderful things in our collections due to the generosity of our alumni and others. We don't accept everything since we may already have copies or there may not be enough room to store an item. Just contact us and let us know what you might want to donate so we can let you know if your donation will be accepted.
Are there special rules when using the Archives?
- Our holdings must be used in the Archives during our regular hours.
- Researchers using archives or manuscript collections must Sign In with the Archives.
- Only items needed to take notes are allowed in the Archives. Pencils only. Laptop computers are allowed.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in the Archives.
- Place other personal property in the lockers. Practice cell phone courtesy by turning off your ringer and taking calls outside the Archives.
- To keep the documents in order, researchers may use only one box from a collection at a time. Open only one folder at a time and please keep items in the order you find them.
- Materials must be handled carefully and must be used flat on the table. Do not make any marks on materials or affix extraneous items such as Post-It notes. No books, papers, or other objects (except special weights used to hold materials flat) may be laid upon materials.
The Lewis Library staff regularly writes and posts blogs on its home page. To go to a blog related to the Suber Archives and Special Collections, click on the links below.